Tuesday 25 May 2010

Journal of Malachai Orden 19-05-10

+++The journal of Malachai Orden.+++ FILE RECOVERED+++
Another few chronosegments spent chasing the commander’s past. I had privately wished that he would leave me uninvolved – I have little regard for my own family ties, but I owe Darrius my loyalty and have pledged to follow that man into the Eye of Terror itself. Not that our current trajectory puts us in that direction, but then he is a man ruled by impulse and prone to make a decision with little regard to the safety of the ship.

We travelled to some backwater death world after an obscure hint about some relic or other belonging to his father. Now there was a man to respect! The very name of Daddius Varick conjures such images in my mind. As close a thing to a hero as I can conceive. Although I never met him, he is practically a legend of the Imperium. And I expect he would never have asked me to run the entire ship in the way that Darrius does.
I was forced to sit quietly by as he brought on yet more strains on the ship’s resources and my patience in the form of a new seneschal and a pilot who’s as likely to take us into an asteroid field as lose us in the Warp. Emperor’s name, why does Darrius find himself so unable to simply say “no” to people? And the heresies that Seneschal committed! Tearing that valuable information from the wreck on the planet without so much as a litany to the Great Machine (who must be thought of in all things)! A lesser man would have abandoned the work there and then as futile but I admit that my… indoctrination on Mars no longer holds the sway it did. I even find myself occasionally skipping the summary use of incense when making minor repairs. In fact, I find myself less attuned to the Great Machine and his work in the universe just as even the Emperor himself no longer fills my thoughts. I wonder if it is some function of interstellar distance from the Sol system.
Suffice it to say, I had to repair the ship’s gun cutter again. Apparently damaged by the planet’s corrosive acid rain. I do wish that Varick would take greater care of my equipment. Hmm, this marks another journal entry edging dangerously close to heresy. I shall have to delete it like the others and replace it with more praise for the commander’s actions. I wonder, am I too free spirited for this ship too? I know my… lack of regard for, shall we say, conventional mechanical thinking was enough to bar me from the Mechanicus and it was only House Varick’s intervention that saved me from facing death or… conversion to work as a servitor. I can never risk my blasphemies facing the light of day for even out here there are many spies and there will always be those who will ignore true mechanical talent instead simply chanting and bashing damaged equipment with hammers. Innovation has no place in my line of work. I must continue to hold my peace, even with Varick and the others. And I must delete this file.

+++ MESSAGE ENDS+++

No comments:

Post a Comment